Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Environment and Obesity Blame/Isolation.

I am calling for a national debate and discussion on childhood obesity.

The food environment is poisoning a generation of children, and the environment of blame adds to this issue. Obesity is a very complex issue , and I am suggesting creating a shift in our focus. Obesity is not a disease and I hardly think we need to fight it.
www.obesitythunderbay.ning.com is working to promote education. Blaming the individual is interfering with efforts to improve health,and obese people are being exploited at multiple levels. I am not a Big Loser, and that term needs to be challenged. Our children are facing a war zone ,and no one seems to want to address the real issue.
I am calling for a change ,a shift in our thinking. You see adult obesity is hard to inspire a talk, but children and obesity allows for a shift to take hold . Please add your voice to this cause by doing something to inspire ,or ignite the conversation. Obesity is more than calories in and out , more than simple plans,more than weight loss surgery, more than fitness, more than willpower and a whole lot more than Lifestyle.
Lifestyle has been manipulated to suggest blame without directly labelling blame .It is a brilliant term, and I think the media needs a Lifestyle Shift. 90 % of people obtained their information on obesity from the media, and first response is Lifestyle from a person. Why?
I am calling for a serious examination of this media reporting ,TV weight loss health crisis. I think we have an education crisis. Currently the War on Obesity,which attacks the individual may go the same way the War on Drugs has gone. Let's Move and trade Heat for Light. We do have a crisis, but how much of it speaks to our food environment?

Paul

2fat2fly on Twitter.

2fatfly@obesitythunderbay.ca

www.obesitythunderbay.ning.com and on FB

1 comment:

  1. Hello Paul

    I believe in what you are doing, it has to be done in order for things to ever change for our children, and of course generations to come. I stumbled across your site to prepare for a presentation at work. I am a primary health care nurse practitioner and I work with the long term health effects of obesity, not to mention self esteem issues.

    So Thank You

    ReplyDelete